Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Bitting off more than I can chew...

I decided to take an art class. At first I was elated. Now I realize I inherited a gene from my mother called the always-excited-to-start-a-new-thing gene. Too bad I didn't inherit the finish-what-you-start gene from her too. After the 2nd class period I was feeling overwhelmed and good for nothing. Strange how comparison can do that to you.
At dinner time, while stewing about my class, I gave Azure a carrot to play with because she likes to bang things on her chair (like celery stalks and plastic spoons) while I make dinner. I looked over (because she was being awfully quite, a sure sign that trouble is brewing) and she was trying to eat the rather large vegetable. My first thought was, "That's a pretty big bite that she is trying to take.." and then I realized that is kind of how I felt about the class. So, I guess the gene is being passed on. Of course it's not necessarily a bad thing.

2 comments:

  1. I think one of her top teeth, maybe even one you can't see yet is stuck in the carrot.

    By the way, the "finish what you started" gene along with the "start a new thing" gene might be up for grabs because I seem to have LOST it. I think they are off jumping over the moon with the cow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it comes to projects the only way you don't finish what you've started is to either die or give/throw the project away. When you still have it but haven't yet completed it then it's just in the off-cycle part of the rotation. Off-cycle is a valuable part of the project rotation and I rely upon it heavily.
    I too get incredibly excited about starting new things then also get overwhelmed. Could be because we are currently involved in the huge undertaking that is nurturing, loving, understanding, caring for and teaching precious children of God. I don't know about you but the excitement over a new project, class, ect. is well worth the possible disappointment of not finishing it the first time.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete